Thursday, August 22, 2013

And Just Like That.... It Was Over

Back to school socks. 

 back to school 001

This can only mean one thing.  No more lazy days without an agenda, no more laying in bed just because you can, no more mid-day outings - for a while at least.  Today was the first day of the minions' 2013-14 school year.  My babies are in 3rd and 2nd grade now.  I consider myself something of a first-day-drop-off-veteran by this point but the car ride home is still eerily quiet and subdued.  Today was especially hectic at the school though - it was the first time most of the students/parents were able to see the new inside.  All Summer long they were working on renovations to the school, transforming it from an open floor plan to actual walled classrooms, adding an entire addition onto the back, putting in an elevator, and tearing down the wooden playground and putting up a new (weak version in my opinion...) smaller playground instead.  I have been in the school a few times this past week and got the tour before school started today as did the minions so they will be pros at navigating the new hallways.  Little man is most excited about the fact that there are now lockers in the school.  Hopefully this will cut down on the headlice issue...

Each year I tell myself to start knitting the back to school socks earlier.  This is especially important now that little man's feet are my size.  But no, I started in August again this year and finished the 4th sock last night around 8:30pm.  I was held up a little at the end due to a knitting injury.  o.O Really???  Yeah, a knitting injury.  I know, it sounds funny just typing it.   For crafters, having tendon issues in your fingers (or in my case, thumb) is a big deal but in the grand scheme of things it's still just a knitting injury and I can't take a rest because I have lots and lots of knitting and dyeing to do so I'll just work through it. 

For any interested parties, the minions are able to pick their desired sock yarn from a pile that I round up for them and this year, little man chose a skein of Opal that was gifted to me by one of my Knitting ladies.  Little miss chose the remnants of my self-striping Fairest of them All Colorway with contrasting toes/rib in the Bring Me Her Heart Colorway.

 back to school 004
back to school 003

It was kind of a dreary morning for school today but they were excited just the same :)

back to school 006

The next few weeks will be spent getting used to a new routine and ironing out some of the other variables that have been floating around the Dreams in Fiber Household but more on that later.

1 comment:

Mason & Karen said...

They grew since your last post.