Saturday, February 10, 2007

The time has come

Greetings! It was brought to my attention that I have not posted since January 21st... that I needed to make time to update... well, here you go.
So up until recently (until I had my first CO) my passion was for books. To this day I still believe that one can never have too many books and as a child I even fancied being a librarian when I got older so I could be surrounded by them every day. "Why is she telling me all of this?" you may be asking yourself. To answer that question, I have been on a quest for quite some time now which combines both passions quite nicely. I was holding off posting partly because I have so many WIP's going right now that it didn't make any sense to take more photos and post them, and partly because I was hoping to post a rather triumphant entry where I could say that I finally found it!!!!!. That entry will not be happening I am sorry to say. The book that I have been referring to is Sata kansanomaista kuviokudinmallia by Eeva Haavisto. It is written in Finnish and published in the 1940's and 50's and has a plethora of beautiful charts. I must have this book. Back in November, I was rather frustrated by the fact that I have not yet obtained this work of art -- I have my name on several lists, have utilized online translators and written several letters to the publisher, I have even given serious thought to learning to speak Finnish.... Then it dawns on me. Hello! You used to work in a library, why not find it that way through ILL and at least you could make use of it temporarily while continuing to search for your own copy! Brilliant! So I set off, happily, thinking that this may be the key... It turns out that only a handful of libraries in the country have this book and after going through multiple libraries and actually calling the libraries that do carry the book and hearing "We can ILL it to you no problem!" I received yet another phone call a few days ago telling me that they too are unable to obtain it for me. All together now: SIGH. So. The time has come to admit that I cannot do this alone and to ask for help from the wondrous knitting community. If anyone happens to stumble across this blog and can help me out, or if you have say a great aunt once removed that happens to have a copy that has been sitting on a bookshelf for a few decades now... it doesn't matter who or where, I would LOVE to hear from you. Okay, enough of that for now. The wound is too fresh!

Lets see. Knitting. I finished the first Delicato mitt and the first footie for Grandma. I finished the hat portion of the hat/scarf combo for the hubby's aunt in Chicago which is rather tiny in the following photo (not the best I know, but it was the most accurate representation of color that I could get on my monitor so I am going with it), and I am making progress on my other WIP's, I am just waiting to take photos. Soon. I promise!!! :)In minion news, little miss is all over the place now. Not crawling so much as dragging her body across the floor... but at least she's going forward :) And little man's vocabulary is improving every day. They are keeping me busy! Ever since we moved the computer downstairs (which severely limits my access and thus decreases my posts) I can't seem to get on the computer when I have a post brewing in my head and whenever I am able to get on (like now) I try to remember everything that I was going to post and end up forgetting most of it until later when I can't get on.... It's a vicious cycle. Unfortunately I seem to be caught in it yet again. I will leave you with more little man as he has entered into a "cheese" phase where he can't seem to get enough of himself, photographically speaking. Enjoy as I am off to make dinner and knit.

4 comments:

knitspot anne said...

it's good to see you back! ii hope you find your book—i never heard of that one!
can't wait to see your delicatos

Anonymous said...

Wow! That last photo of Little Man really looks like my brother. Scary. See you soon!

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

I KNOW that feeling of having so much to post and then completely forgetting to put in the important bits once you get going. I now type them quickly into Wordpad or scribble them on a scrap of paper, and then when I start to post, I list them at the top as guidelines. So far I've remembered to take them off before publishing, or someone might think I'm really nutty...

Hey isn't Littlest One loving the increased mobility? You can see the delight all over her face!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why you don't write more about your amazing husband. He sounds too good to be true!