Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Socktoberfest!

I have decided that, in my excitement of fall, my love of Oktoberfest, and my love of sock knitting, I should join Socktoberfest! Once I figure out how to add the Socktoberfest button to the sidebar I will be official. Technically I am a few days into the festivities, but that's okay with me. With my minions I am rarely on time anywhere anymore anyway. That was a lot of "any's". I thought I would start this post by answering a sock questionnaire.

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I actually started knitting socks this past summer. I admit that I was rather afraid of them before I started, but when I realized how easy they are to make, they have fallen into my "most favorite things to knit" spot.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? My first actual pair were the socks that I made for my MIL. So far they've held up rather nicely.

The first socks that I actually made are pairless -- one toddler and one for me although I don't think that I will ever make the pair for it.
What would you have done differently? Even though my feet are rather small I left myself short and started the toe a tad too early. They are wearable, but they don't stretch out to a comfortable length because the yarn I used was a little thick. All in all, a decent prototype, but will remain forever single.
What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? The socks that I made for my MIL were from Sunshineyarns very soft and work up nice. Deb's sock yarns are also fabulous, great color, work up great... I have some Regia that I am going to use for an upcoming pair so I am excited to see how that turns out... I would love to try some of the Socks That Rock that everyone seems to be gushing about...
Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I use the 2 circulars. DPN's and I don't get along and I haven't tried to learn the Magic Loop method yet.
Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) As of now, all the socks that I have made have been the heel flap variety. I am anxious to learn the short-row heel and will probably attempt to make a pair of short-row heel socks for myself in the near future - perhaps I will cut in the front of my Holiday Knitting list and make myself a special pair for Socktoberfest!
How many pairs have you made? Not nearly enough but I have enough sock yarn in my stash to cover all of the feet in my family and then some!

That concludes the questionaire and this post as little miss is awake. I will write about the minions in a little while.

No comments: