Thursday, November 04, 2010

Too Soon

The Dreams in Fiber household had to say goodbye to a friend this past week and it sucks.  It really really sucks.  There's no other way to put it (and that's a really light way of putting it - I'm trying to keep it clean though I have a few other choice words ready to be inserted where necessary).  He was one of those really wondrous people that had a zest for life and loved to share things with people.  He could always make you smile and had a great laugh.  You know, a special one.  I would hope that we all know at least one person that could fall into that category.  I find that I am okay if I don't really let myself think about it.  When I do allow myself to acknowledge the fact that the song I just heard was introduced to me by him or the recipe that I wanted to make pales in comparison to the one he made, or that next year I wanted to plant a particular flower that I first saw in his and his wife's garden, I get weepy.  I'm not a weepy person.  It sort of snowballs.  I get to thinking about how special he was and then I think about his wife and the friends and family he left behind and I'm sure you can figure the rest out.  I try to keep it away from the minions though they both know. Earlier this morning, I had "a moment" while I was putting away some laundry and little miss came up and asked me "why my face was like that".  I told her that I was sad and that I missed my friend.  She told me that "a hug will make you feel better" and proceeded to give me a hug and then told me that "whenever you feel sad, just tell me so I can give you another hug".  I didn't want to let go.  I wavered a bit, trying to decide whether or not to blog about this.  But then I thought perhaps it might give someone a push or a reminder to let the ones they care about know it.  Go out and create some memories - you never know...

6 comments:

essjay said...

So sorry for your loss, Erica! The great ones are always taken far to early it seems. Sending warm thoughts & hugs.

Liz said...

Hug hug hug hug hug hug!

Jenn said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Erica. Grief takes time...and it's OK to let the kiddos see you cry. They get it...and how nice that kids know exactly what we need when our heart is hurting...someone to hold it for just a while. Many hugs to you. Give yourself time honey. Soon the hurt will fade...the happy memories luckily never will.

Bea said...

The dogs and I are sending you a huge hug and lots of slobbery doggy kisses. I'm so sorry.

Unknown said...

Hang in there and I'm sending you big hugs. Going through the same thing here this week with Thomi's Grandma, Mama J, who I just saw when in Seattle. It's hard to say good bye. Take a nice long walk this weekend in memory of your friend.

kate

Rani said...

And more hugs! I'm so sorry - tears in my eyes.