Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Beautiful Day

I did something today that I haven't done in over 2 decades, so I thought I would share.  Think back to when you were a kid and everything was a big game.  Little man was playing baseball with the hubby and little miss and I started the evening off by playing "kick" outside in the yard.  All of a sudden, in her pink twirly dress with her hair falling down her back in curly tangles, she looks at me and shouts "Can't catch me!" and she's off.  There I was, in jeans and everyday clothes chasing down my 4 year old with a huge grin on my face.  I can't remember the last time I ran anywhere while sporting a big smile and laughing to boot!  For so many years running was just exercise, you put on your running gear and counted the minutes and the blocks and the miles while silently cursing yourself the entire time for letting yourself get so out of shape or being more tired than the day before, or not going as far as you wanted to...  It was work, it was an accomplishment that I could cross off the TO DO list, it was something I had to fit into my day sometime/somehow or I couldn't sleep and would then be out running at 2 or 3 A.M.  It wasn't necessarily fun.  Today, running was fun again and that makes me really really happy.

3 comments:

Rani said...

That is so cool. I was at the beach and struck up a conversation with another mom about what happens to us when we grow up and no longer "play". The kids were all saying, "Why don't you swim? Why are you so boring?"

I remember saying the same thing to my mom! Next time, I'm jumping in. Thanks for the inspiration!

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.