Thursday, July 09, 2009

Hermione's Everyday Socks - A Free Pattern

Hermione's Everyday Socks
by Erica Lueder

Materials

Yarn: Fingering Weight - approx 350-400yds. Sample sock knit with Ruby Sapphire’s Sapphire Yarn in the Colleen Colorway.

Needles: US 1 (2.25mm) – set of 2 Circular Needles, or size needed to obtain gauge.

Gauge: 36 sts per 4 inches (10cm)


Texture Pattern

(Repeat from * to *)

Row 1: *k3, p1*

Row 2: knit

Row 3: *k1, p1, k2*

Row 4: knit

Slightly Modified Garter-Stitch Edged Eye of Partridge Heel

Row 1: k3, p to end

Row 2: p3, *k1, sl 1* to last 3 sts, k3

Row 3: k3, p to end

Row 4: p3, *sl 1, K1* to last 3 sts, k3


INSTRUCTIONS:


Cuff


CO 64 sts, divide evenly over 2 circular needles (32 sts each needle). Join for knitting in the round.

Work 20 rows of ribbing: *k1, p1*


Leg


Knit 1 row. Begin the Stairway Pattern for a total of 18 pattern repeats or until you have reached your desired length ending with row 4 of pattern.


Heel Flap

The heel flap is worked using ndl 2; ndl 1 is holding the instep sts. Knit the Slightly Modified Garter-Stitch Edged Eye of Partridge Heel Pattern for a total of 8 pattern repeats (32 total rows) ending with Row 4 of the pattern. This leaves 16 edge sts for pick up after the heel is turned.


Heel Turn


With WS facing you,

Sl 1, p 16, p2tog, p1, turn

Next row: sl 1, k3, ssk, k1, turn

Next row: sl 1, p4, p2tog, p1, turn

Next row: sl 1, k5, ssk, k1, turn

Next row: sl 1, p6, p2tog, p1, turn

Next row: sl 1, k7, ssk, k1, turn

**continue in this manner until all sts are have been knit – there should be 18 heel sts left on the needle at this point.**

Pick up (pu) the heel flap sts.

Using the ndl holding the heel sts (now referred to as ndl 1): pu 16 sts along the heel flap, pu 1 extra st between the heel flap and the instep (to close the gap), pm, k across half of the instep sts (16 sts) in pattern. Switch to the other needle (now referred to as ndl 2).

Using ndl 2: continue across second half of the instep sts (16 sts) in pattern, pm, pu 1 extra st between instep and heel flap (to close gap), pu 16 heel flap sts, continue to knit across half of the heel sts (9 sts)


**at this point there should be 42 sts on each needle**


Gusset


Set up row:

Ndl 1: k across the heel and heel flap sts until you reach 2 sts before the marker, ssk, sm, continue to knit across the instep sts in pattern.

Ndl 2: k across the instep sts in pattern, sm, k2tog, k to end


Now we’re ready to get going on the gusset.


Row 1: Ndl 1: k to 3 sts before marker, k2tog, k1, sm, knit instep sts in pattern

Ndl 2: k across instep sts in pattern, sm, k1, ssk, k to end

Row 2: Ndl 1: K to marker, sm, continue across instep sts in pattern

Ndl 2: k across instep sts in pattern, sm, k to end


**Repeat these 2 rows until there are 32 sts left on each needle (17 gusset rows total, not including the set-up row)**


Redistribute the sts so ndl 1 carries the instep sts and ndl 2 carries the sole sts.


Instep


Continue knitting in pattern (ndl 1: the Texture Pattern, ndl 2: St st) until you have reached your desired length ending with row 4 of the Texture Pattern.


Toe


Decrease rounds are knit as follows:

*k1, ssk, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1*

Row 1: decrease (30 sts per ndl)

Row 2 & 3: knit

Row 4: decrease (28 sts per ndl)

Row 5 & 6: knit

Row 7: decrease (26 sts per ndl)

Row 8 & 9: knit

Row 10: decrease (24 sts per ndl)

Row 11: knit

Row 12: decrease (22 sts per ndl)

Row 13: knit

Row 14: decrease (20 sts per ndl)

Row 15: knit

Row 16: decrease (18 sts per ndl)

Row 17: decrease (16 sts per ndl)

Row 18: decrease (14 sts per ndl)

Row 19: decrease (12 sts per ndl)


Finishing


Cut yarn leaving a 10 inch tail and weave through remaining sts using the Kitchener technique. Weave in all ends and congratulate yourself on knitting a beautiful sock. Now knit the other one if you haven’t already.


Abbreviations:

CO: cast on

k: knit

k2tog: knit 2 stitches together

ndl: needle

p: purl

p2tog: purl 2 stitches together

pm: place marker

pu: pick up

sl 1: slip one stitch as if to purl

ssk: slip, slip, knit

St st: Stockinette Stitch

sts: stitches


Inspiration:

Hermione, as described in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter Series, is a rather smart and practical heroine. While she can dress up with the best of them, these socks remind me of something she might wear while practicing charms or transfiguration or reading up on Arithromancy in the Gryffindor Common Room.

15 comments:

Swords and Needles said...

Lovely pattern, and will be joining my Ravelry queue, but I thought you might like to know that her name is Hermione, not Hermoine.

Erica said...

Thanks for letting me know about the typo :)

Babben said...

Hi, I have just finished up my Hermione's Everyday Socks, and just love the pattern.
We are a knitting-group at Ravelry called "sokker 2010" and got Your pattern as the September-task.
Thanks for a lovely pattern :-)

Anne R said...

I am knitting these as I type (not literally, of course) and I love them! I only hope my nephew will love them as well, they're his Christmas present :) I won't tell him they have a girls' name... Although I think he rather fancies Hermione :D

Just wanted to say thank you!

Ginger said...

So this is my first set of socks and am enjoying them thus far. However I have a few couple of questions. First is the abbreviation SM stand for stitch marker? And second, on the heel turn, do I repeat the pattern or am I increasing the knit and purl stitches? Would appreciate help. Thank you. Ginger

Anonymous said...

Working on the gauge, is it done in the texture pattern?

Erica said...

If memory serves, I think I grabbed the gauge in the StSt portion of the foot.

April said...

Just a question - I may have missed it but how many stitches wide is the heel flap supposed to be. I can't figure out how many stitches to make it. Thanks!

Holly said...

Hi, this is my first attempt at making socks, I love the pattern but am having trouble understanding the heel turn part, I have watched videos to no avail, I get stuck at the **continue in this manner...** section, do I repeat the steps before that? How do I pick up the stitches that don't get worked?

Anonymous said...

I am preparing to knit these socks, but don't know what "sm" is under the gusset portion. Please help soon, I will be stuck.

Erica said...

sm: slip marker

kelli ann & lorie said...

Cast on a 44-st version of these for a faraway niece (who has just had her 2nd birthday!) And it's zooming along, am already abt halfway done the straight foot. Looking lovely!

Sara Flickinger said...

What yarn are you using for this sock?

Anonymous said...

Hi Erica,
I've just finished the gusset of my first sock and am having trouble figuring out how to redistribute the stitches so that needle 1 carries the instep sts and ndl 2 carries the sole sts. It's easy enough to move all the instep stitches onto one needle, but if I try moving the sole stitches over, my working yarn will be in the middle of a row. Am I just supposed to start knitting in the middle of the row? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but this is the first sock I've knit and everything has gone smoothly until now and I don't want to start messing things up! If you could reply as soon as possible, I would greatly appreciate it.

TheKnittin Knerds said...

Erica, what is the size for this, I couldn't see what the size was for the sock? was it listed in the pattern on Ravelry? I will check again, but I want to be sure before I start this for my Mama.