Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Summer Fun

One of the things I actually like about getting older is that you get to meet more fun people. This past week I was able to see an old friend E who came into town for a visit and I was also able to meet 2 absolutely delightful people from Holland, J and M, who even brought me goodies although we had never actually met. I apologize for this picture, I was trying to get this post done this morning and didn’t have the best light, I promise I’ll get a better one! They also brought me some yarn (hee hee) so I'll get a picture of that too :) Although, if you're curious, the green yarn will be a sweater for little man and I am undecided at this point about the blue. The breakables will go into my "no little hands past this point" stash where I can still look and enjoy but, hopefully, they will not get broken.

J and M are on a nice little holiday and are visiting Iowa for only a portion of their trip, but they did manage to make it down to my in-law's lake house for a bit of fun in the sun. We played horseshoes, went out on the boat, and managed to get a little relaxation in I think. I think they rubbed off on me a little bit though, I found this quiz and even though I took it 3 times and changed the answers here and there, I got the same result each time:

Your Inner European is Dutch!

Open minded and tolerant.You're up for just about anything.


Historically, Iowa summers are hot and humid. This year is no different and it would appear that little miss is as fond of the weather as I am.Now that it has started to cool down (let us all cross our fingers and hope it stays that way) I have decided that it is high time that I get back in shape. I went for a run this morning. Now, I used to run religiously and it would not be unheard of for me to go for a run at 2am if I hadn't managed to fit one in earlier in the day. Those days are long gone. In fact, the last time I attempted this was after little man was born. I got it in my head that I needed to drop some baby weight before the next one came around and had gone out for a run... silently cursing myself with each step for letting myself get to that point physically but thinking at the same time that at least I wasn't sitting on the couch. I was almost to the home stretch, winded, tired, sore, and then I heard sirens off in the distance. They kept getting closer and closer and I was so tired that I thought to myself "Oh no, one of the people that drove by me thought I was going to collapse and called the EMS." Those particular sirens were not meant for me that day and I didn't hear any today, so perhaps that is a good omen. Of course it was 6am and there weren't a lot of cars out... I thought that maybe by telling anyone this that it might hold me a little more accountable so feel free to ask me how it's going and I promise I will tell the truth! Wish me luck :)

With every Iowa summer comes the Iowa State Fair. Mom and I took the minions this year for a short stint and I think the kids had fun, despite the heat. They saw some animals and enjoyed some ice cream. Little miss really enjoyed the ice cream. This is her "more ice cream please" face.How could you resist that? She also learned how to blow kisses that day.Little man took to cooling himself off in a decidedly different manner by utilizing the garden hose.It would seem that I haven't done much knitting lately. I finished a ribbed beanie for little man and have spent my "crafting time" sewing. That's right folks. I thought it would be a good idea to break her out and reacquaint myself with the sewing machine after a rather lengthy period of time. I've made a few bags for little man, some zippered pouches... place mats/napkins/coasters... nothing too exciting, just figuring it all out again. It pleases me that I can complete a project by sewing faster than I can finish them by knitting, so we'll see. I have by no means given up knitting. In fact, this little beauty will be my new best friend for the next month. It is the Forest colorway from Sunshine Yarns. I am hoping to turn it into a triangular shawl that I can wear for my SIL's wedding in the end of September. Originally I was thinking of doing a leafy stole, but I think I may get more use out of a triangular shawl so I am switching patterns last minute and am praying that I will have enough time to get it done before the 23rd. Cross your fingers on that one for me too!

I will leave you with a few visions of summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hartikke bedankt, voor deze leuke foto's, en alvast gefeliciterrd voor straks. bye

( great thanks, for these fotos in the web, and happy birthday for later, bye

a friend